Sunday 11 March 2012

Banking vs. Problem Posing Education



The following paragraphs will address education as a practice of freedom as opposed to a practice of domination. Freire displays this in terms of banking education and problem posing education. Banking education facilitates domination while problem posing education facilitates freedom of creativity and transformation. These methods of educating were apparent throughout my secondary schooling education by way of teaching styles used by my educators and these teaching styles greatly affected the outcome of knowledge retained and empowerment gained from these educational experiences.


Banking education is discussed as an act of depositing where the educator is the depositor and students are the depositories. Instead of communication the banking method involves students waiting, receiving and memorizing information, then restating this information back with a goal to only obtain high grades on standardized tests, even though when instead students would gain more from being critically engaged and applying the information that they are leaning. “Banking” turns the action of leaning into only receiving, filing, and storing deposits.  This method of educating takes away the essential part of learning which is what makes us entirely human – the banking method takes away ones creativity and critical ability leaving only ignorance and inhuman, robotic reproduction of the given deposits. This leads to a conclusion that banking is a form of oppression, snuffing out all signs of the creativity and self transformation that makes education such a rewarding and personally fulfilling endeavour.


Based on my experiences I have had one instance of banking education during my secondary educational experience. My teacher was only a subject of our attention and us, as students, were nothing more than mere objects present to robotically absorb and reproduce concepts long enough to score a high grade with a method of testing that was standardized throughout the entire classroom regardless of if this was a way that was suitable for everyone to learn by.


This teacher wanted the pupils to naively accept all assumptions that were presented and fill our minds with taken for granted information without any chance for critical assessment. We were to assume this teacher knew all, and we knew nothing – much like the idea of banking where the student is nothing but a blank slate, awaiting a deposit of information. We were to receive information passively, and if we were to assess critically any aspect of what this teacher spoke of, the teacher would appear agitated and the pupil in turn would be treated poorly – displaying the aspect of domination, oppression and control that is associated with a banking method of educating.


Problem posing education is discussed as an act where the educator is taught while teaching and everyone teaches one another while being mediated by their surroundings and the world in which we live in. Students are critical about and engaged in what the educator is presenting as opposed to only listening and restating information. Problem posing education presents a method to develop power by way of perceiving critically and evaluating objectively not only the concepts presented to us by the educator, but our reality and surroundings entirely. Problem posing education methods present transferable skills and set students up for success by adapting many educational subsets to form a dynamic learning experience.


Based on my experiences I have been subject to plenty of problem posing educational experiences. One that stands out in my mind would be a secondary educator who allowed us options to adapt our curriculum to make it more engaging to each individual specifically such as options on different novels to read for assignments or different ways of presenting information. This teacher was open to any way we felt we could learn, and would actively work to facilitate success for all students. There was a caring relationship between educator and student, and students were provoked to critically assess any aspect of the curriculum and felt comfortable becoming openly engaged in course


From my experience of banking education, I did not take away any valuable skills or information because critical assessment of the material was not facilitated, and in this case was even perceived as a negative reaction to the course material and came with negative consequences. Based on the lack of critical engagement with the course material I only obtained the information on a short term basis – long enough to obtain a high grade on the test, and then the information ceased to be useful in my life and was disposed of by lack of repetition. By looking at this situation as an example of banking it displays a clear example of how this can lead to oppression and lack of creativity because if one only accepts what they are told this does not leave any individuality, transformation, progressive movement or creativity.  My experience with problem posing education was a highly beneficial experience, and I continue to experience this form of education. These sorts of experiences facilitate the ability to critically assess ones surroundings and promotes life-long learning. 


Banking education damages the true meaning of learning and inhibits the creative power of the students, submerging their consciousness, while problem posing education creates a classroom of tuned in critical thinkers who will be engaged in their surrounding and based on this, partake in life-long learning and progression within the self as well as throughout their surroundings. 



14 comments:

  1. I like what you have to say about problem posing education leaving a positive impact on your life and that you feel you did take more away when you were creatively thinking. Also, that with problem posing education allowing for life-long learning, which I totally agree with; when someone is more interesting, you remember it better and carry it through life and are more willing to learn more about it. I wrote a response to the banking method vs. the problem posing method on my blog as well and I find I am still very one the fence with problem posing. It seems like a good idea in theory, but how critical can one think when things are known as solid fact? Perhaps it is because I study biology that I am more used to concrete answers to questions and that for the most part, most knowledge is already know for fact, that I can't see how one could critically think about certain topics. From the electives in the form of religion, philosophy and now sociology I have taken at university, I can say I did get more out of class discussion and thinking about answers from different viewpoints, but for my science classes, I prefer to have the solid fact because I know I would be confused if I learned the types of tissues in the body and then someone went on to question it and try to argue differently. I think the banking method can be applicable and a fair way of teaching with certain classes where there is more concrete answers with factual evidence, compared to critical thought with flexble responses.
    It would be nice to engage more problem posing education into the science-y world in perhaps that form of actually testing theories or doing more hands on experiments instead of just reading about the results found. It has the potential to be a succesful meshing of the two methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your example of your bland and boring "banking method" teacher. I also went through a rough experience with a teacher that sounds much like the one you had. I think having the experience of being taught with an extreme form of the banking method really helps shed some light onto how harmful the banking method can be. However I feel like a balance is needed. In my opinion it shouldn't be banking method V.S. problem posing by good mixture of the two styles. I think that when the discussions and the critical thinking is added to a more concrete answer is when the true learning happens. Not just a simple "this is the answer" but a "this is the answer and here's why I think that". The combination of the styles is something that I feel really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your very own commitment to getting the message throughout came to be rather powerful and have consistently enabled employees just like me to arrive at their desired goals.
    -------------------------------
    Junior robotics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the best blog.it was very useful for me.keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.this was actually what i was looking for,and i am glad to came here!
    magento development company in bangalore 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m student of BBA and studied banking & finance as subject, now I’m thinking about to choose it as specialized subjects. My personal interest is in banking, which is allowing me to go through it. Thanks for sharing such an informative post. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The method of execution is really impressive of writers of this blog. This team does really work hard and brings new information to its readers. I am connected with this blog very long and I am really thankful.ติว sat ที่ไหนดี

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time include the references.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm a professional freelancer with 10 years of experience. You can hire me to write similar or different blogs for your blog channel or academic assignments. You can reach me via email excellentwriters366@gmail.com or via WhatsApp +254115071001. My customer services are outstanding, never left a query unanswered. Thank you so much in advance.

    ReplyDelete